When Skyla and Ollie were looking to buy their very first home, they decided on our Kinlet house style located in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire.
Here they tell us about buying their first new build property and offer some fantastic tips on how to style your new home..
1. Why did you decide to buy a new home instead of an older property?
At first, we started looking for an older property for our first home because we always thought that they had more character, however when we started looking our decision changed.
When we looked at new builds we loved the fact that everything worked, we could move in and not worry about any extra costs. The idea we could design this blank canvas and be settled in straightaway was perfect for us.
2. Why did you decide on The Kinlet house style?
We saw The Kinlet at Kendrick Homes' previous Bromsgrove development and fell in love with it. The size and layout of the home was perfect for us and suited our lifestyle needs. We were really impressed with the finish of the home too.
When we first heard that Kendrick Homes was building again in Bromsgrove, we contacted the sales negotiator and put our deposit down. 18 months later and every morning we love waking up to the sound of sheep and the views of a lovely open field.
3. How did you find the process of buying a new home?
The process we found wasn’t as stressful as we first imagined, we were lucky we had a great sales advisor, Julie from Kendrick Homes, who helped guide us as we didn’t know what to do as this was the first time for us. We also recommend using a good mortgage broker, this really helps the home buying process.
4. What is your favourite room in the house and why?
It's hard to say! But with the fantastic summer we've had, we have really enjoyed our Kitchen / Dining room because we open both doors to the garden and we use this whole space as our living area. We have been lucky this summer as we have just designed our garden and have been out there enjoying it. We also love our layout in the lounge, inspired by Scandinavian design we have kept everything minimalist and neutral to match our design tastes.
5. When you move into a new house, you get a complete blank canvas, what tips do you have to start to make the house your own?
We would advise to buy as little as possible to start with when planning your room because your ideas can change and it is not until you live in this space you really get a feel on how to make your house your home.
We constantly look through Pinterest and Instagram to get ideas from creative spaces and designers. This helps us to develop our style and see what can work in our home. We think the most important element is that it is your own style and personality that can be seen throughout your home.
6. What are your favourite homeware stores and websites?
We have a few favourites that we constantly look at for inspiration or products such as
- Homesense – great for unique one off pieces that are affordable
- Swoon Editions – High quality handmade pieces that is perfect for a statement pieces
- Ferm Living – Perfect for accessories especially the Scandinavian style, which we love
- Instagram - Perfect for finding independent retailers that wouldn’t get on the high street.
- We also love visiting Independent stores in Bath and also London
7. Your garden looks amazing! What tips do you have to plan and design a garden in a new home?
Make the most out of your living space, look at the direction of the sun and plan your design round this, as you can always make shade. This was a factor for our garden; we have the patio area for shade in the evening.
Always plan your garden to match your lifestyle. We love entertaining but also having an area where we can just relax after a busy week.
We love being outdoors; our love for travel is reflected in our garden, from the beautiful Italian Olive Trees to the tranquil lanterns of Bali.
8. What do you like about your new neighbourhood….what are your favourite places to visit?
We have always lived in Bromsgrove and it is a perfect location for both of us for work and travel. We are lucky now that Bromsgrove is developing and we have Birmingham, Bath, Worcester, Oxford and other cities just under 2 hours away.
9. Anything else you would like to tell us about your new home?
It was 100% the right decision that we went with a new home. We didn’t rush into buying everything all at once; we waited and made sure every piece we brought was what we really wanted.
Thank you so much Skyla and Ollie for your review and fantastic tips on styling a new home. You can follow Skyla and Ollie's interior journey on their instagram @skyla_ollie